Information for Canadian Customers

Mercedes-Benz of Billings - Information for Canadian Customers

Mercedes-Benz of Billings is pleased to assist our Canadian customers with their Used Car purchase saving you time and money. All vehicle sales must be sourced from our pre-owned inventory, excluding any new vehicles. According to regulations set forth by the manufacturer, new models may only be sold by U.S. dealers to U.S. customers. Our courteous and friendly customer service personnel are here to help you.

To start the export process we will need three forms of identification substantiating your legal Canadian residence. Acceptable forms include a Passport, Provincial Driver's License, Voter's registration card, hunting and/or fishing license, or a utility bill.

Once you select the right pre-owned car for you, we will agree on the figures and ship you all the necessary forms you will need to complete the transaction. All you need to do is to sign and return to us via mail or courier, to get the process going. You will then need to make payment arrangements for the vehicle via wire transfer. This is simple and straightforward. The vehicle must be paid for in full before it leaves our location and we must be able to verify receipt of your wire.

Please take steps to study your applicable federal and provincial regulations, and make sure your Pre-Owned vehicle is not lacking any of the required safety features, such as daytime running lights which are required in most if not all Canadian provinces, and engine block heaters are required in some.

Please inquire further by using our contact us form or send an e-mail to a member of our sales staff for further assistance.

Sweetgrass Port of Entry

Coutts, Alberta & Sweetgrass, Montana
Export Hours
(406) 432-5522 (This connects to Whitlash Office, which processes the documentation for vehicle exports through all Idaho and Montana U.S. border crossings. You will still cross through the address below.)
(406) 432-5528 (Note: email submissions will be processed with priority)
Interstate 15 N at Canadian border, Sweetgrass, MT 59484 (Map)

Crossing Instructions

The documentation for all personal vehicle* exports via Idaho or Montana border crossings is processed by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (hereafter "CBP") office in Whitlash, Montana. 72 hours before crossing any of the borders in Idaho or Montana, you must e-mail the following documents to the Whitlash office:

  1. The Vehicle Export Worksheet (click here to download). The owner or purchaser of the vehicle is responsible for the accuracy of the information provided. Failure to properly fill out the work sheet or choosing not to use it may delay your effort to import the vehicle. This could then result in you arriving at the border and not being permitted to export the vehicle and/or you receiving a fine or penalty.
  2. The Automated Export System. Pursuant to U.S. regulations you are now required to file export information in the Automated Export System (AES.) as of April 5, 2014. One of the changes was that used self-propelled vehicles must be filed in the AES 72 hours prior to export, no matter the value or country of ultimate destination (including Canada). This change became enforceable October 3, 2014. Prior Canadian citizens visiting the U.S. cannot register to file through AES or AESDirect. To find a U.S. agent or freight forwarder, simply use an Internet search engine to locate one or visit:
  3. A copy (both front and back) of the Vehicle Title, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) or certified copy of the same from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If the title is NOT in your name, then on the Title the seller must sign as the seller, and your name must appear as the buyer. Partial submissions are not allowed.
  4. Vehicles not requiring a Title. if you are exporting equipment that does not require a Title, you must complete the No Title Required Addendum (click here to download).
  5. A copy of the Bill of Sale.
  6. Loans/liens. By signing off their interest on the original Title, the lien holder indicates that the loan has been satisfied. If the lien has not been removed, but the lien holder does not object to export, then you must obtain from the lien holder a Letter of Permission on their company letterhead allowing you to export the vehicle from the United States. This Letter of Permission must bear an original signature of the lien holder and the date when it was signed. In addition to the Letter of Permission, you must obtain a Certified Screen Print of the title information from the DMV (the title information, NOT the registration information), and it must have affixed to it an original signature of a DMV official. Emailed copies of the Letter of Permission and the Certified Screen Print are acceptable to initiate the clearance checks.
  7. Recall Clearance Letter. You do NOT have to submit your Recall Clearance Letter to the U.S. CBP office, as it is not required.

Assuming your documentation above is accurate and complete, a CBP official will initiate export checks typically within 72 hours of receipt of your email. A CBP official will instead contact you if there are any problems with your submission, so be sure to include your contact information. It is beneficial to supply the telephone numbers for your home, work and mobile phone, as well as an e-mail address if you have one to avoid any processing delays should a CBP official reach out to you during processing. If the CBP official cannot reach you, the 72-hour export check will not begin.

Please note that the owner/agent of the vehicle must supply the ORIGINALS of all documents above in person at the Port where you are crossing at the time of export.

* (A vehicle is any self-propelled automobile, truck, tractor, bus , motorcycle, motor home, self-propelled agricultural machinery, self-propelled construction equipment, self-propelled special-use equipment, and anything self-propelled designed from running on land, but not on rail or water.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here is a succinct question and answer list to our most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) regarding the import of used motor vehicles to Canada. If you don't see an answer here, feel free to contact Mercedes-Benz of Billings' customer service team for more information.

1. What government agencies will have to interact with during the import and export process?
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Border Patrol when under United States jurisdiction and the Canada Border Services Agency when under Canadian jurisdiction.
2. What rights and privacy do I have during clearing a vehicle at customs?
The Anglo-American common law protection against illegal search and seizure does not apply at border checkpoints as there is established precedent in American and Canadian constitutional law and international law for the maintenance of customs checkpoints at ports of entry, be it air, land, or sea. It is highly recommended that a person or persons involved in crossing an international border avoid conveyance of any and all illegal contraband. Transfer of firearms across international borders, for instance, requires a legal process, documentation and declaration of the items to customs officials. Ask an attorney if you have any questions about your legal rights.
3. What fees must I pay to export my vehicle?
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection does NOT presently have any fees or excises for the export of a motor vehicle.
4. Do I need original documents at the time of application for export?
When you submit the application to our title office, it is NOT necessary to send us the original documents pertaining to your application for export from the United States or import into Canada. A facsimile of all the required documents suffices to facilitate the processing of your applications.
5. What if I don't have the original title?
You will need to get one. We will work with you to offer any and all possible assistance insofar as it depends on us.
6. Do I need to have the title issued in my name?
No. It is not legally prerequisite for you to have the vehicle title issued in your name. You simply need the original title and a bill of sale, which serves as a memorial to the legal conveyance of the vehicle's title.
7. May I park my vehicle at the U.S. Customs parking lot for the 72 hour period?
No. Your vehicle may be towed at your expense if you attempt to do this.
8. May I have the vehicle export office make copies of my documents when I submit my application?
No, due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to make copies.
9. What happens if I have already taken my car to Canada and need to export it?
You will have to bring the vehicle back to the United States and submit the application to export the vehicle. The vehicle must then stay within the territorial jurisdiction of United States until the 72-business hours have lapsed and your vehicle has been cleared for export or the exporter is subject to an administrative penalty. We do not recommend preemptive efforts to cross the border without undergoing the legal process of export and import in order to avoid further complications.
10. What if I cannot get to your office during your normal business hours?
We would suggest that you either, have someone you trust export the vehicle during our normal business hours, or you can pay a company to export it. If our office is closed when you arrive, then you must leave the vehicle inside the United States and return the next business day.
11. May I take my vehicle to Canada during the export process?
No. You cannot take your vehicle to Canada until the 72-hour business day waiting period has passed; and you have first presented the vehicle and original documents for inspection at customs. If you attempt to take your vehicle to Canada prior to getting the title cleared and stamped, you will be subject to an administrative penalty and the possibility of having the vehicle being seized. Seizure and impounding of a vehicle complicates matters as it requires a prolonged administrative process of validating the title in order to re-secure possession of the vehicle, and facilitate its legal import into Canada.
12. What procedures are required at the time of export?
You must have original documentation (not facsimiles) at the time of export. We cannot accept facsimiles of the title or a manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO) at the time of export. The vehicle must be taken to Canada after you complete the U.S. export process.
Please speak with our trade advisor for more information.